- 67 total responses, 26 counties represented from across N.C.
- Respondents were made up of 39% Food Councils, 19% Non-profit organizations, 16%
Religiously affiliated, 5% Independent food pantries, and 21% Other or unknown.
Top 5 reported sources of donated prepared food and the percent of respondents
WHY IS UN-SERVED PREPARED FOOD NOT RECOVERED?
- “Probably for lack of clear guidance on liability…”
- “Unserved prepared foods are not being recovered out of local institutions because …
of lack of information for those with the capabilities and opportunities to implement.”
WHAT ARE THE SUCCESSES?
Reported successes fell into 4 response categories:
- “I am seeing that one grocery store’s food waste along with food recovery from farms
feeds over 200 families per day.”
- “More individuals have access to more food because the food is donated rather than
WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES?
Reported challenges were coded into 4 response categories:
- “For our agency, it would be manpower and transportation for pickup.”
- “The challenge we face is food donors’ fear of liability.”
- “We really need policy guidelines in writing from the state level.”